Hoglands is a 2D side-scrolling base defense strategy with RPG elements developed by Piggy Games, a small but passionate team out of Kyiv, Ukraine. In development since 2021, Hoglands sees you protecting your kingdom against bloodthirsty, undead pigs by gathering resources, building a base, raising an army, improving your hero and lead the defense of your lands.
The creators of the game were inspired by such games as Kingdom: Two Crowns, Until We Die and Tails of Iron, and Tails of Iron is what came to mind for me when I saw the trailer. The action takes place in the kingdom of pigs suffering from a terrible disease that turns everyone into dangerous creatures. You will take control of a noble pig, who is trying to save the survivors, and unraveling the cause of all the misfortunes.
Hoglands will have several levels with different victory conditions, from surviving for several weeks to killing bosses and completing quests. The main gameplay loop will consist of developing your base and repelling the attacks of constantly increasing waves of enemies.
- Recruit workers and soldiers, give them orders and assign them to work.
- Build fortifications, develop your base and research new technologies.
- Arrange raids to destroy sources of plague and collect rare resources.
- Equip the main character and get new abilities that will help you in an unequal struggle.
- The game has a dynamic change in the time of day, depending on which the game balance will shift in one direction or another.
- Make sacrifices to the evil gods, they will repay you with gifts and blessings.
The game alternates between night and day, shifting the balance of the game in one direction or another accordingly. Therefore, every second counts because your enemy is getting stronger with each new wave. Hunt vampires during the day if you don’t want them to attack you at night.