Between Horizons is an upcoming 2.5D pixel art sci-fi adventure set in a semi-open world, by developers DigiTales Interactive and publisher Assemble Team. Arriving on Steam, GOG, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S in Q4 2023, Between Horizons challenges players to uncover the mysteries of their ship, the Zephyr, but with a catch: there’s only one shot to get it right. Explore the ship’s unique areas, get to know its inhabitants and find clues that establish story connections until the full picture reveals itself – or not.
Players assume the role of Stella, born on the ship 24 years ago and recent inheritor of her father’s post as Chief of Security. Dive into the mystery and uncover the conspiracy that threatens to disrupt the Zephyr’s social order and work to foil it — align with them. The developers at DigiTales have maintained the tight pacing of their previous title, Lacuna, which translated into crafting a meaningful, space-faring story laced with thought-provoking dilemmas and rich sci-fi themes. Players will need to reevaluate their moral compasses and make increasingly tough decisions as the situation aboard the ship spirals out of control. After all, those alive today won’t be around to see the end of the mission, so the new Chief of Security must shape the future.
In the latest Between Horizons devlog that you can watch here and below, the developers dive into the inner workings of the sci-fi detective adventure, explaining that its semi open world and branching narratives allow for players to determine their own destiny upon the ship, and think about every action and consequent reaction. Underneath the game’s compelling and plausible sci-fi plot lies a number of thought-provoking problems inviting players to weigh intergenerational responsibility against personal freedom.
Key Features of Between Horizons:
- A New Type of Experience: Between Horizons merges investigative-style gameplay with a branching sci-fi story in an ever-expanding Metroidvania-style environment
- Solving cases for yourself: The flexible evidence system lets players assign clues to cases, confront ship denizens about them, and submit any case with evidence players have connected to it. Everything found on the ship is connected, but figuring out how — that’s the challenge.
- At What Cost?: Underneath the game’s exciting and plausible sci-fi plot lies a number of thought-provoking problems inviting players to weigh intergenerational responsibility against personal freedom
- Getting New Perspective: Timeless pixel art mixed with 3D environments and compelling visual effects come together in Between Horizons, creating a unique, beautiful art style
- Failure is Very Much an Option: There are no second chances — submitting wrong solutions means the story will go on and players live with the consequences. A new and improved auto-save system will make sure there is no going back, as the story branches and endings are based on player decisions, none of which can be taken back.
Between Horizons is coming to PC via Steam, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation 4|5 later in 2023.