I love me a good pirate game. King of Seas was a game I have sunk over 30 hours into and the Risen series is a favourite of mine too, of which the original Risen is getting a console release in January. However, the latest swashbuckling game to grab my attention is Tortuga – A Pirate’s Tale developed by Gaming Minds Studios and published by Kalypso Media. This is the team that bought us Port Royale 4 in 2020 which great fun. This new game though will commence its pillage of the Caribbean on January 19, 2023, arriving digitally for Windows PC exclusively at the Epic Games Store, as well as on PlayStation 4|5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.
It’s a wide world out there and before ye can come aboard, it’s time to customise your ship in Tortuga – A Pirate’s Tale. In the recently released customisation trailer, players can see all the ways you upgrade your ship to ensure your fleet is the most formidable of all. Choose from 18 unique ship types and customise distinct features, including your flag, weaponry, hull, mast and figurehead. Whether it’s improved cannons, a defensive hull or a comfortable cabin, there are plenty of ways to keep your crew happy and guarantee success on the mighty Caribbean Sea.
It is not only your ship that must be improved but also your crew. As you encounter historical pirate captains, you must choose wisely when you decide who is friend or foe. Use your wits as you take on trading convoys and settlements in tactical turn-based battles. With the sea on your side and a well-armoured ship, you will surely gather enough booty to keep your crew happy.
Tortuga – A Pirate’s Tale features include:
- BECOME THE PIRATE OF ALL PIRATES: You are not born a great pirate, but we give you the tools to make you THE great pirate. Customise your own flag under which your fleet will sail. As you gain experience, your notoriety and skills will improve. Roleplay with more than 35 distinct pirate’s skills on your way to claim your pirate throne.
- RAID AND VOYAGE THE CARIBBEAN SEA: The Caribbean of the 17th century is dominated by the four colonial powers of the Old World. Being a pirate is not your fault, but it is your responsibility! Take action to relieve the Spanish, Dutch, French and English colonies from their burden of drowning in riches. But be wary! Unless you are sure you are the biggest fish in the sea, don’t venture out too early or too far from your trusted hometown port.
- ENGAGE IN TACTICAL NAVAL BATTLES: A ship is safe in a harbour, but that’s not what ships are made for. Fight in tactical turn-based naval battles on a hexagonal grid of epic proportions. Use your wits when raiding a convoy or a settlement. Victory is determined by a clever combination of your ship’s distinct armament with the varying and rough conditions of the sea.
- UPGRADE YOUR FLEET: It is your job to maintain and upkeep a formidable fleet before facing the cannon hail of those mighty warships lurking in the seas. Combining distinct upgrades of your ship’s basic gear, such as weaponry, hull, mast, or figurehead allows for more than 360 unique loadouts.
- MEET YOUR CREW’S NEEDS: As an elected captain of the ship, it is your responsibility to split the spoils and riches with your crew. Agreeing on so-called ‘articles of capture’ clearly define the objectives you embark on before leaving port. Remember the whispers of mutiny below the decks can lead to nasty outcome. After all, you are an elected captain and not placed by the grace of the Lord.
- PARLEY WITH INFAMOUS PIRATE LEGENDS: On your journey to become the most fearsome, most glorious pirate captain, you will have the opportunity to get to know several historic pirates. Choose your foes and companions wisely…
- COMMAND HISTORICAL SHIPS: Featuring 18 unique types of ships such as Ship of the Line, Frigate, War Galleon and many more.
- DROWN IN QUESTS: Sink more than 25 hours into stories set in the Golden Age of Piracy. The world is your oyster after all. Governors and fellow pirate companion provide you with valuable questlines where a few doubloons can be made. Also don’t forget to seek out the local tavern and eavesdrop on the latest rumours. A bottle of rum loosens the tongue, showing the way to treasures otherwise hidden…
Tortuga – A Pirate’s Tale will fire its cannons on January 19, 2023, when the pirate adventure strategy game will be available digitally for Windows PC exclusively at the Epic Games Store, as well as on PlayStation 4|5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.