It’s been a long time since I have played a game in The Settlers universe. The Settlers is a city-building and real-time strategy video game series that dates back to the first release in 1993 on the Amiga and then Settlers II in 1996 on MS-DOS. I do remember playing a bit of The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom in 2010, but today it has been announced that there is a new game in the series coming out next year, titled The Settlers: New Allies. It is being developed by Ubisoft Düsseldorf for RTS gamers on Windows PC via the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games Store with a launch date of February 17, 2023. The game is also in development for Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch and will utilise Ubisoft’s proprietary Snowdrop Engine.
Having been in development for a number of years now, and the initial release delayed earlier this year after feedback from the closed beta, we don’t have long now to wait to dive into the world of The Settlers: New Allies. Players will settle onto a new land, build their communities, meet new factions, and choose to welcome them as allies or enemies in order to protect and defend their new settlement.
There will be three game modes available for us to play:
- Single-player campaign: As the Elari are forced to flee its homeland, they must settle on new and unknown territories. These new Settlers will have to face many challenges on their journey, from the raiding of ruthless bandits to the discovery of the new culture of these lands.
- Hardcore Mode: As players will be able to play new scenarios, a wide range of modifiers and conditions will make the AI an even more challenging opponent. Adaptability is key in this new mode that will put the best players to the test, alone or with friends.
- Skirmish: Players will be able to experience Solo vs. AI, co-op vs. AI or PvP featuring up to eight players on the 12 maps available at launch.
At release, The Settlers: New Allies will be available in two editions:
- Standard Edition: Base game
- Deluxe Edition: Base game, deluxe pack (in-game digital content and digital artbook and soundtrack and Explorer pack (in-game digital content)
To coincide with the launch date announcement, the developers will also start streaming The Settlers: New Allies to cover a series of topics around the different modes, the lore, and more. The first live stream is set for December 1, 2022, at 11pm AWST / 2AM AEDT December 2 on twitch.tv/Ubisoft. This first stream will feature the Skirmish mode with Creative Director Christian Hagedorn.